Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Morimoto LED Fogs

I had this idea to switch over to LED Fogs.  I had been using HIDs for a while - but my housing always seemed to just fail or show condensation after a while.

In looking around, there was one other person making some very expensive LED fogs for Cobras.  It was much more than I'd care to pay, and it was very skimpy on details.

I figured I'd instead fabricate my own way of doing them.  I started with making a mold - which quite frankly took way more time to do than I ever care to admit.  I never could make them look properly pretty, but it was functional.  In then end - I ended up painting the white builds and I had and this is what it looked like in the end:
This is what my adapter looked like before installing.

When installed on the car - they would look like the image above. It really did blend in well with the black bezel it was placed into.
All lit up!
Daytime picture.  You can see the painted mold a bit when  you get really up close.

Another picture from the 3 foot mark, in shade.
The light output is as precise as can be desired.  These will produce no glare once they are aimed correctly.
One of my favorite details is that it retains the ability to easily be adjusted up and down as desired.
Shot in the daytime.  It almost just looks like a blacked out bezel.
The connection could not be more simple. Just a short cable to the stock cables the car has stock.  There is no longer a need to hide a ballast and extra HID wiring anywhere.
One more shot of the Fogs in action.  Since this is already a sealed housing we are adapting to the car, there is no worries about water intrusion or anything else of the sort.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you get the led assembly? Thinking of doing something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be found on TRS website. The specific one I used was the one designed for the Dodge cars:
      https://www.theretrofitsource.com/assemblies/led-fog-lights/dodge-morimoto-xb-led.html

      Delete

Morimoto XB LED Fogs Adapter for Cobra

I've been working lately to improve the adapter I had made a few years ago and think I have made some drastic improvements Old vs n...