Sunday, August 6, 2017

2004 Mustang Front A-Arm Lower Ball Joint replacement (FAILURE!)

Saturday 8/5/2017 I began the process of getting the Lower Ball joint replaced.

But first - in the mail on Friday I got a letter that my car need to update the registration.  It's good through September, but it means I need to get the car inspected.

So, I thought I might as well get the car inspected real quick before I began working on getting the Ball Joint replaced.  So I knew this shop close by that was really quick at getting me in and out.  So I figured out what they they opened and showed up about 10 minutes early.  I really wanted to be in and out.

When I got in I also remember that I needed to get the fuel filter replaced.  I asked them how long it would be to do it, and they said it was just 30 minutes.

Well - to my dismay - I didn't get out of there till 90 minutes later.  So I started a little later than planned.

I did also go to Harbor Fright to get a couple tools.

Went home, and after breakfast I started working on the car.  I got the front end up on jack stands and took off the front wheels.

Teared into the drivers side quite a bit, even got the old ball joint pressed out.  But I totally screwed up the install of the new ball joint.  It went in a little sideways.  I thought it was all good, but when I took the tool off, the ball joint just fell out.




Needless to say - I was quite disappointed.  I had not eaten well that day so I was drained of energy - feeling a little sickly.

I did a little research and found some new A-Arms with the ball joint included at O'Reilly's.  Note that Auto Zone had them too, but they were quite a bit more expensive.

I went to church.  Went to dinner with the family.

I started working on the car again and got stuck.  I got everything off the A-Arm.




But I could not get the front bolt of the A-Arm out.  It was hitting the Rack and Pinion on the way out.  I had to call it quits for the night - defeated....





No comments:

Post a Comment

Morimoto XB LED Fogs Adapter for Cobra

I've been working lately to improve the adapter I had made a few years ago and think I have made some drastic improvements Old vs n...