Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Fixing a leaky Convertible Top

My poor Cobra...  She is getting a little old.  Issues are starting to show here and there, and for the most part they are just small details that do not detract from the joy of driving her everyday.

However, one thing I'm dreading more than ever is driving it in the rain.  She has developed a little leak that allows water by the A-Pillar at times, but lately it also leaks in the back in the area behind the seats were the top would stow away in.

The one by the A-pillar isn't too bad as long as I get her into a garage or under cover she seems to be okay.  But the rear area one is pretty bad.

Yesterday I finally decided I had all I needed to properly tackle this issue.  After doing some research, it pains me to say that I have probably been ignoring my top since I bought the car new.  I started research by seeing if I could Scotch Guard the convertible top.  What I found instead is that there is a regimen that can be followed once or twice a year to keep the top clean and waterproof.  I did this yesterday but I think I'll start a regimen to do this in the fall and spring (you know - trying to avoid the summer heat and winter freeze).

So here is what I did:
Started by cleaning the top as recommended.  I had to wet it first, so I recruited my daughter to be on hose duty first.  I figured I'd hunt for this leak in the back first.

The the top getting drenched - I did spot this leak:
Just a little trickle next to the rear window on the passenger side.  Now that I know where the leak is, I figured I'd clean the top.



Notice how the top absorbs the water?  Anyways - here is what I'm using to clean and treat the car top:
Once cleaned and somewhat dry, I thought I'd tackle a little tear I had in one of my seams:

Who knew sewing would be part of a car repair?  I was using a UV protected thread so hopefully it will hold up in the long run.

I did add a little glue into the seam as well and it didn't turn out exactly as expected, but better than before at least.
I did also try and tackle the leak.  I had some Tear Aid patches for cloth.  This stuff is very flimsy but strong.  It was hard to get it in place, but here is what it looks like:



This morning, I got up early and inspected the top again.  It looked clean and dry - which is what I needed for the next step.

I essentially sprayed the whole bottle of protector on the top:

I made sure to put extra on the seams or where it was aparent there was a crease of sorts.  I tried to also focus a lot on the sewing repair I did as well as the leading and side edges.
I removed the clips from the back of the window, and here is what I see of it now:

By the time I made it into work - the top was looking great:


I really hopes this works.  If it all goes as planned, the water should just bead off the top going forward.  I will update the blog once I had my first bout with rain (which may be later today).

8/6/2017 update:
It seems like this really works.  Here is a small video of how hydrophobic it becomes:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morimoto XB LED Fogs Adapter for Cobra

I've been working lately to improve the adapter I had made a few years ago and think I have made some drastic improvements Old vs n...